Journal‎ > ‎

Chemo starts today not tomorrow

posted Jun 5, 2013, 10:45 PM by FightingFor Mya

I spoke with Ray last night to see how the day went for them. He said that the surgery went well and Mya came out of the anethesia well. (that hasn't always been the case). They are on the 6th floor and will remain there for the length of the treatment. Right now, they are in Room 600; it's a lead lined room. This is used for a specific type of chemo treatment that uses radioactive elements. Mya isn't getting that kind, but it was the only single room available when they got there yesterday. Ray said that a couple of rooms should be opening up today or so and they will be moved to another room.

On the 6th floor in the isolation section, part of it is pressurized. It uses Hepa filters and the like to super clean the air. Ray said that his allergies haven't been bothering him nearly as much as usual. A slight bonus in an otherwise sucky situation? We'll take it! :)

There are alot of rules about what can be brought into the room regarding outside foods and items. If an item is brought in from the "outside", they would like it to be in its original packaging or have it washed before it is brought in. They are alot more strict about that kind of stuff because the patients in the "isolation" ward all have compromised immune systems.

Ray said that the chemo is scheduled to start today around 10 or 11am. She will receive this type of chemo for the next three days. Then, its on to the really tough one. For this one, Mya needs to take a bath every 4-6 hours, around the clock. The reason being is that the chemo will leach from her pores. If it stays on her skin,it will burn it. So, the baths remove it so that won't happen. Scary that they actually put that into someone's body, isn't it?? She gets this type of chemo for three days. God bless the nurses who work in the Oncology ward!

I was thinking about going down today, but not sure if I'm going to make it. I have a couple of errands that I need to get done sooner rather than later. Got some good sleep though, maybe with another night like last night under my belt I'll tackle the drive to Boston tomorrow.