Journal‎ > ‎

Waiting ends...but starts again...?

posted Aug 8, 2013, 6:18 PM by FightingFor Mya

Mya went to Dana Farber today. She was weighed (33.5 pounds, 15.4 kilos), had her dressing changed on her arm IV, and had her blood panel done. After housekeeping was done, we met with the Oncology team. They were able to speak with the neurosurgeon about the latest MRI. The surgeon will not operate on Mya's brain. Not to remove the remaining tumor, not even to get a biopsy.

There are valid reasons for this. First, the tumor is in back of one of the major blood vessels in Mya's brain, next to her brain stem. To get to the tumor to either remove it or biopsy it would be extremely dangerous. If something goes wrong, Mya could have a stroke or even die. Even if the surgeon was able to biopsy a piece of the remaining tumor, that piece could be dead, but another part of the tumor could still be alive and dangerous. There isn't a way to know if all of the tumor is dead or only some of it.

The oncology doctors are really holding back on doing radiation to her brain because there isn't any solid evidence that the remaining tumor is a threat. They don't want to subject her to this type of treatment without due cause because of the strong and lingering efforts radiation may have on her brain.

So this leaves us with the last option, doing nothing but observe. We will have a MRI done in 3 months time to see if the tumor has changed at all. We will be looking to see if it has changed shape or moved.

Mya's immune system continues to improve. She is still required to stay away from public places and large groups of people and children. We are hoping to get the all clear sometime in September.

We will go back in 2 weeks time. If everything continues to improve, we should be able to get rid of the arm IV then. After that, we will be targeting the removal of her stomach tube.

Taking each day as it comes....

Comments